Solo travel is exhausting.

Some key moments about my 2 weeks solo travelling are (but certainly not limited to):
  • Losing my passport in Kampot for an hour (that was not fun believe me)
  • Getting ill in Siem Reap going to the doctors for them to charge me $300 for antibiotics, thanks hun i could've just got this at the bloody pharmacy. (Don't worry i'm going to claim on my travel insurance)
  • Losing my phone in Koh Rong Samloem, just don't get as drunk as i do - i'm just a bit crazy and wild and free. 
  • Jumping off the wrong side of a motorbike and getting burnt by the exhaust.. that thing kinda hurts i'm not going to lie
It wasn't all bad though - i got to learn about the devasting history and culture, spend the afternoon as the funnest waterpark in Kampot, see the beautiful temples of Angkor Wat, 4 crazy nights in Pub Street, and experience a 3 person motorbike ride up Bokor Mountain (don't recommend, just learn to ride your own bloody scooter).

-
Day 1 of solo travel was possibly the scariest day of my life, I arrived in Siem Reap at about 7:30pm and the hostel I was staying at opens its rooftop bar at 7 so theres no-one downstairs but loud music coming down upstairs, I checked into my dorm room and theres bags scattered around but no-one in there - side note: I only tend to stay in girls dorms just because boys are gross to put it bluntly. I paced the room for what seemed like an hour just psyching myself up to leave and make some friends, every time I left my room I’d make an excuse to go back it was so silly looking back on it. I eventually plucked up the courage to go upstairs and regretted it instantly by this point it was about 9:30pm and everyone was already drunk and lairy and they’re the worst to make friends with, there was about 3 girls up there and they were all already getting with the guys so I perched myself in the corner just maybe hoping someone, anyone would come and talk to me. Eventually a giant viking (this is what he referred to himself as) came over and was just very friendly and made me comfortable and honestly I owe my entire trip to him (Chris from Alaska never gonna see you again wherever you are in the world now thanks hun). There was a big group on my first day that were quite inclusive and thats super hard as a solo female traveller, if people are already being cliquey from the get go it’s gonna delay you from coming out of your comfort zone, but there were a few drifters that I glued myself to for the evening and I ended up having a very decent first night indeed.

The 2nd day was better, the big group left and it felt more open and free (does that even make sense). I ended up staying in Siem Reap for 6 nights (not out of choice though I got ill on the last day and I couldn’t think of anything worse than travelling whilst feeling sick) I was fully ready to get out when I did, it’d been a great start to my solo 2 week and I was ready to move on to another one. 

Phnom Penh was next and again the first hour was a bit daunting but there seemed to be more people around to sit with so I did just that as soon as I arrived I got a beer and some food and sat on the bench with a couple of guys. There was also way more girls at this hostel which I enjoyed because back home I have never really had guy friends, literally the only guys I’m friends with are like my friends boyfriends so I don’t really know how to be pals with guys so I was craving a good girl friend and this hostel delivered, the 2 reps here were insane Emma & Emily literally made my stay so amazing. We had such a good little group going for my 2 nights here and I learned so much about the devastating history of the city, I have so much love for the Khmer people since learning that during the genocide 1 in 4 people died and almost anyone over the age of 30 does at least 1 person who has died as a cause of Pol Pot. 

My time in PP came to an end after an insane pub crawl evening, we honestly had the best group for these 2 days and if anyone else thinks they had the best group then you’re incorrect sorry. 

I was on my way to Kampot, a town which I knew very little about but knew it was going to be hot and I could finally sunbathe and not worry about it raining (wishful thinking it’s the start of bloody rainy season Holly). So I had 2 nights originally booked here but extended a night to fit more things in as Kampot is pretty darn huge and there’s so much to do and learn. 
The Kampot province is another area which the Khmer Rouge invaded and up until the 1990s the Bokor Mountain was one of their last strongholds. If you do choose to visit please take the time to motorbike to the top of this mountain it’s incredible to see and if you are lucky enough to get a clear day you will get views for days (I was not lucky enough sadly). 

So anyway, I of course stayed at yet another mad monkey hostel (can’t fault them except maybe Siem Reap but we won’t get into that now) and arriving in the day time is always abit daunting because everyones either out doing stuff or they’re in bed hanging from the night before so you don’t actually see it buzzing until the evening if you’re travelling solo, I think I spent my first day not talking to anyone for a good 3 hours I was fully set on leaving as soon as I arrived and heading to the islands. But I stuck it out and I’m glad I did, Kampot 100% became my favourite part of Cambodia and I know there’s more for me to see so I’ll definitely be going back one day. I should probably mention me losing my passport in Kampot, that wasn’t fun at all, but HUGE MASSIVE GINORMOUS shoutout to Mark who literally kept me sane during and found it for me and basically took me around on the back of his scooter for 3 days. 

My last stop was the islands, unfortunately due to circumstances in SR I had to cut everything short by a day so I only had 2 nights to spend here but honestly if I had 1 more I don’t know if I’d have survived. Mad Monkey @ Koh Rong Samloem is a secluded beach resort set with hammocks and swings in the sea, a pontoon and a pier where they have happy hour every day complete with beautiful sunset views and photo opportunities. There’s no wifi connection so you can completely relax here and are forced to make new friends. The staff that work here are both Khmer & Western reps are amazing, they know how lucky they are to be working in such a beautiful place  and are happy to share the experience with you and make sure you’re having an equally good time as they are. I got a wee bit lairy on my time here and if I were to go back I probably wouldn’t drink AS much but hey I’m on my holibobs aren’t I?

The Khmer locals are super nice but one little thing that gets me is how slow they are at everything, if you go on a bus journey do not look at maps, it’ll say 1.5 hours but it will take 4.5 hours due to the traffic and the general state of the roads, expect bumpy rides but ultimately if you go to Cambodia except to fall in love with the country and never want to leave. 

-

Final mention to every single person i met along the way you have all shaped my 2 weeks in one way or another whether i met you for 1 night or 4 nights it's been an absolute incredible journey and i wouldn't change it for the world (actually i'd probably change a few minor things about Siem Reap but details schmetails). Travelling solo on such a tight schedule is incredible hard because you meet so many amazing people that you want to continue your trip with but you have to say goodbye to them so soon after meeting, this also comes with the positives that you get to meet more people than most would do so i'm still happy to have the chance to see this country and fall in love with it. 

-

On to the next chapter of my life which is starting work in the tourism industry and selling tours around the world to be exact, i'm excited to look at trips all day everyday and i don't think i'll be getting bored of it very quickly.

Lots of love,

Hol x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

living alone in a GLOBAL PANDEMIC (not clickbait)

30 things to do before I turn 30